“it takes a village”
I can say I didn’t know who was in my village until Violet got cancer. Thinking about it, the village is made up of multiple communities, who have all had different impacts:
- Family – from visiting, to living with us to providing great support. Someone really enjoyed the facetime calls too
- Friends – Surprise survival packs, car parking cash and random supportive texts!
- School – WOW, food, picking up kids… I honestly didn’t know what chappy’s did, but now couldn’t be more grateful
- Church – prayer, food, house cleaning, lawn mowing
- Work – passing around the hat, getting extended time off work, complete understanding when returning to work and supporting fundraising efforts
- Hospital – nurses, doctors, occupational therapists, social workers, so many passionate people we got to know.
- Paediatric oncology community – No one really knows what you go though, except those closest to the same fire as you. We’ve met some incredible parents in the oncology wards!